Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SHUT YOUR OUTLET.



As I was 'Googling' for something interesting to write about, I found this image from an art blog type of site where users are able to post their work online for all to see. It struck me as an interesting and expressive piece of art, and this issue of technology and media and the effect it has on our lives is one we do not always get to see in this form. The idea is often talked about via text, video, newscasts, articles, ect. instead of in this form of art. This is something that intrigues me because art is very important to me and I too love to paint.

This image by the art-blogger called Nufrosh, brings up several different ideas about media and technology and the impact it has on us and it also summarizes most of our discussions in class. First, the person in the painting has an outlet as a mouth, which implies that what people say is what they learn from the media and that is all that the person can say or know. The idea of an outlet as a mouth makes it possible for some other source of technology to potentially plug into it and allow the person to be effected by it also. Not being able to see the subject's eyes makes you look at them as though they are blind to the world and all the information they are receiving is either coming from an outlet or through a wire. Since there are 3 of the same person, it is kind of like how we talked in class about having an actual identity and personality and then having a Facebook identity and other media identities, like Twitter. We now have multiple social identities. The image also gives a sense of people being linked together because of this new trend of online networking since all 3 are connected in a way.



3 comments:

  1. I think this is an awesome blog! I like how you chose to do a peice of art. I really like your analysis of what the out let actually means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting choice to analyze. i thought you ideas of what the piece ment was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome picture! it's kind of creepy. I really like how you decided to analyze it.

    ReplyDelete